Holy Cross Cemetery

Holy Cross Cemetery
Bedford Avenue
Open 9:00 am to 5:00 pm daily

 

History

The Holy Cross Cemetery was purchased on September 6, 1874. It is interesting to note that the first burial took place on July 11, 1874 before the cemetery was consecrated (dedicated to the service of the Deity). At the time the cemetery was purchased, the land was located in the village of Danerville in Campbell County, approximately 1 1/2 miles west of Lynchburg. The cemetery plus a house sits on 6.48 acres of land. The land was purchased for $1800 by Rev. James Gibbons. The Deed was dated on April 14, 1875 owned by James M. Casey.

Father James J. McGurk, the first pastor of Holy Cross, is buried in Holy Cross Cemetery in Lynchburg, with a tombstone approximately 14 feet tall (pictured below).  There are 13 priest buried near Father McGurk.

Burial Plots

For all inquiries and to purchase a plot, please call the parish office at 846-5245.

Directions

From Holy Cross Church

Head west on Clay Street to the stoplight
Turn North (right) on 5th street
Turn West (left) on Main Street/Rivermont Avenue.
Turn South (left) on Bedford Avenue
Cemetery is on your left.

Pictures



 
Online Giving

Online Giving

Secure and Convenient Donate now!